Potato Chip Halibut
Now you know how much we really love you because this is our family secret recipe that we don't even give to our friends. Shhh! Don't tell them!
Both of our children can eat their weight in Potato Chip Halibut. It's the most often requested fish dish from them and we always make it for birthdays and celebrations. We hope you will love it as much as we do! We like to serve it with a simple coleslaw and oven roasted garlicky green beans.
- 2 - 4-6 oz. Catch Sitka Seafoods Halibut steaks - cut into fingers (about 1 in. by 3 in.). We usually just let the halibut steak determine the size of the pieces, use more than 2 steaks if you're feeding a crowd (or your children).
- 1 bag Potato Chips - we like to use Lays Salt-n-Vinegar chips, we have used all different kinds and flavors over the years, but we keep coming back to the Salt-n-Vinegar.
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 t. Garlic Powder (we use a Garlic Powder and Parsley blend)
- 2 Cups shredded or thin sliced Red Cabbage
- 2 Cups shredded or thin sliced Green Cabbage
- 2 Carrots shredded
- 3/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 T. Vinegar (we use Rice Wine Vinegar, but White Balsamic is also delicious - we love the oil and vinegar from Olivelle.com)
- 1 t. Celery Seeds
- 1/2 t. Salt
- 1 t. sugar (optional)
- 1 lb. Green Beans, washed and trimmed
- 2 t. chopped Garlic
- 2 t. chopped Thyme (any herb will do here)
- 1 t. Olive or Avocado Oil
- Flaked Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350. Rinse and pat dry Halibut steaks, remove skin if present.
- Cut steaks into pieces that are about 1 to 2 inches wide by 2 to three inches long.
- Mix together mayonnaise, lemon juice, and garlic powder in a shallow dish. Crush the potato chips and place in another shallow dish. Line a baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper.
- Coat each piece of halibut in the mayo mixture and then in the potato chips and lay onto your baking sheet. Do not overcrowd as your potato chips will come out soggy.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for 14 minutes. Don't forget to save all the "crunchies" that fall off onto the tray, your kids will want them!
- In a large bowl, mix together red and green cabbage and shredded carrots.
- In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, celery seeds, salt, and sugar (if using).
- Toss cabbage and carrots with dressing and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Wash and trim green beans.
- Place in a large bowl and drizzle with olive or avocado oil. Toss to coat, then add in chopped garlic and thyme. Toss again and spread out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 12-15 minutes in the oven, longer if you like more charring.
- Remove from the oven and place on a plate, then sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
Enjoy & Best Fishes!