Do you ever wonder what the benefits are of eating seafood that is wild caught over farm raised? We know there is a ton of misleading information out there on the web and it can be hard to determine who is telling you the truth and who isn't. And with the spirit of eating healthy in the new year surrounding us, we thought we would shed some light on what you gain by choosing Catch Sitka.
Wild caught seafood varies in size and color, is full of healthy unsaturated fats (like Omega-3's), and is naturally higher in vitamins like potassium and selenium than farm raised. In contrast farm raised fish has high amounts of saturated fats, due to being raised in pens and tanks, and has a lower vitamin content overall. Not to mention the harmful impacts to the environment and the overall ecosystem of the ocean that farmed fish create.
Did you know?
- One serving of cooked salmon has 22-25 grams while halibut has 42 grams of high quality protein?!
- Salmon is a great source of B vitamins, selenium, and Potassium.
- Halibut contains 100% of your daily requirement of selenium. Not to mention 1/3 of your dietary needs for niacin, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin B12, and vitamin B6.
- One serving of black cod contains 90% of your daily needs for vitamin D.
- Lingcod contains the most B12 and potassium of all the Alaskan whitefish and is low in sodium and high in protein.
- All of our wild-caught seafood contains Omega-3 fatty acids that could help your heart and fight disease, with black cod weighing in with the most Omegas per serving!
- Sitka Spot Prawns and all species of our salmon contain astaxanthin antioxidants, which may protect against inflammation in the brain and heart attacks!
- Spot Prawns are also low in calories and an excellent source of protein!